Hi and welcome! My name is Joan “Raven” Friedlander. Someday I’ll write a post to explain where the name Raven came from, or should I say how and when it came to be. For now, I’ll only acknowledge the change for anyone who knows me as Joan and is wondering.
Now, onto what you are likely more interested in as it pertains to the Your Chapter Next project.
I met my ex-husband in 1994 when my son was 9, and his were 6 and almost 3. We were married in 2000 in Sedona, AZ. We had many adventures, some much more fun than others. I think the not fun ones took their toll, but we did recover for a while – even stabilized – and started down new roads. However, life continued on and we started to feel the impact of the increasing disparity in our personal needs and interests. Our sons were grown and as time went on the gap got wider. It was palpable, and painful. You might be able to rekindle intimacy but you can’t change your core values, needs and interests.
We agreed to separate in the fall of 2017. I moved out and away in December. At this moment in time we remain legally married for practical reasons; it would cost both of us to dissolve our marriage right now. Since we are friendly, since neither of us has another – yet – it works for us. But that will change a we move forward in our respective lives. It’s just what works right now.
My background includes 35 years engaged in personal and professional development, business administration and management, health benefits, human resources and career development.
My work experience includes retail bookstore management, financial coaching (my first business), employee benefits, personnel management, staff training and development, small business ownership and business coaching.
In 2007 I co-wrote Women, Work, and Autoimmune Disease with Rosalind Joffe, and was invited to write a second book by Demos Health in 2011. Business from Bed offers guidance to business owners getting back to work after a serious health set back. My motivation? My own experience – and success – wading through a 13 year trial and error process figuring out how to navigate work with Crohn’s Disease (now in remission for 14 years).
Projects, Education And Affiliations
- Event Host, Verde Valley Women’s Self-Empowerment Meetup, 2019
- Guest Blogger: RARE Daily, The Employment Plan and Adapting to Limitations, 2014 to 2017
- Certified Living Your Design Guide: Education, Training and Certification, 2010-2017
- Volunteer, Pilot Small Business Mentoring Program, Green America, 2010-2011
- Director of Training and Licensing, Get Clients Now! ™ 2005-2009
- President, Orange County Chapter of the International Coach Federation, 2004
- Leadership Team, Orange County Chapter of the International Coach Federation, 2002-2006
- Graduate, Corporate Coach University, 2005
- Volunteer Coach, Working Wardrobes, Career guidance for teens in the Orange County, CA foster care system, 2002
- Certified Work Less, Make More (R) Coach, 2001
- B.A. Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, a long time ago.