Who is Raven?
Hi and welcome! My name is Joan “Raven” Friedlander. Someday I’ll write a post to explain where the name Raven came from, or should I say how and when it came to be. For now, I’ll only acknowledge the change for anyone who knows me as Joan and is wondering.
After 23 years with my husband, we mutually agreed we were done. That was in 2017. It’s a VERY different thing to navigate separation and divorce after all that time and later in life. There’s a lot more to deal with emotionally and practically. And yet, here you are and here I am, Face Forward.
Now, onto what you are likely more interested in as it pertains to you and money.
I’m a numbers girl. All my life I’ve been drawn to develop simple systems to help people and companies move from confusion and chaos to order and calm using simple organizing structures. I’ll do the same for you as your money coach. I’ll introduce you to a cash flow management approach that will ground you in a new level of confidence about your future during this emotionally fraught time in your life, an approach that will carry you forward long after your divorce.
I was introduced to the Monthly Cash Flow Planner in my late 20’s.
At that time, I had hired a money coach so that my then-husband and I could get on the same page with our money. We were at odds with each other and desperately needed a way to communicate and manage our finances with integrity. I did anyway!
I took to the system immediately and it wasn’t long before I became a Partner in The Bottom Line money coaching business. I worked with both single women and couples, all of which were feeling ashamed and overwhelmed by their financial situation.
Many of my clients were in debt or barely making it. By learning to use the Monthly Cash Flow Plan that I’m going to share with you, they were empowered to take charge of their finances and make clear-headed decisions. Shame gone, integrity restored.
What Else Have I Done?
My background includes 35 years engaged in personal and professional development, business administration and management, health benefits, human resources and career development.
My work experience includes retail bookstore management, financial coaching (that first business), employee benefits, personnel management, staff training and development, small business ownership and business coaching.
In 2007 I co-wrote Women, Work, and Autoimmune Disease with Rosalind Joffe, and was invited to write a second book by Demos Health in 2011. Business from Bed offers guidance to business owners getting back to work after a serious health set back. My motivation? My own experience – and success – wading through a 13 year trial and error process figuring out how to navigate work with Crohn’s Disease (now in remission for 15 years).
Other Roles and Accomplishments
- Event Host, Verde Valley Women’s Self-Empowerment Meetup, 2019
- Guest Blogger: RARE Daily, The Employment Plan and Adapting to Limitations, 2014 to 2017
- Volunteer, Pilot Small Business Mentoring Program, Green America, 2010-2011
- Director of Training and Licensing, Get Clients Now! ™ 2005-2009
- President, Orange County Chapter of the International Coach Federation, 2004
- Leadership Team, Orange County Chapter of the International Coach Federation, 2002-2006
- Graduate, Corporate Coach University, 2005
- Volunteer Coach, Working Wardrobes, Career guidance for teens in the Orange County, CA foster care system, 2002
- Certified Work Less, Make More (R) Coach, 2001
- B.A. Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, a long time ago.